The Arkansas Civil War Sesquicentennial Commission has awarded $9,842 in grants for six projects that will commemorate the war in the state.
Recipients of the Arkansas Civil War Sesquicentennial Grants were:
* Bill and Sharon Arnold Family Foundation, $2,000 for the third annual Fort Lincoln Freedom Festival in DeValls Bluff
* Pine Bluff Downtown Development, Inc., $2,000 for an interpretive kiosk on the Battle of Pine Bluff
* Arkansas State University, $1,878 for The Battle for Freedom, a video production on the experiences of former slaves in Helena
* Arts and Science Center for Pine Bluff, $1,214 for a pictorial history of the Battle of Pine Bluff featuring art by children
* Community Clearinghouse of Fort Smith, $2,000 for the Fort Smith Heritage Festival
* Reed’s Bridge Battlefield Preservation Society, $750 for a symposium to be held in Jacksonville in May.
The deadline to apply for the next round of Arkansas Civil War Sesquicentennial Grant Program is February 15, 2013. Grant applications and guidelines can be downloaded at http://www.arkansascivilwar150.com/historical-markers/grants.aspx, or can be requested by writing to ACWS Grants, 1500 Tower Building, 323 Center Street, Little Rock, AR 72201, sending an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org, or calling (501) 324-9877.